Wednesday, November 17, 2004

"It's What We Won't Accept"

Loyalty is a big thing to me. Just trust me on this one. You earn my loyalty, I keep your secrets and your silence, and that is forever. So imagine first off how it hurts to realize other people aren't the same way. I've been thinking about that recently, but those thoughts aren't for here. Maybe later.

Now, I know I do crazy things. Deprive myself of sleep sometimes, push other things out of the way. But late at night is the best time for thinking, and if you have someone to bounce your thoughts off of at 4 a.m., amazing things can happen.

Put these two (loyalty and 4 a.m.) together, and let me go on to my thoughts.

Carpe diem. Everyone has seen Dead Poets Society, everyone knows about this concept. (If you haven't seen it, go out and rent it now, or borrow it from a neighbor, or download it from the internet, however you get your movie fixes; and next time, don't let me catch you coming unprepared to class.) What most people DON'T know is that carpe diem isn't the innocent little, "make the best out of today" concept that Robin Williams presents to his hormonally-overcharged students. Marvell, Donne, Jonson, Suckling--the Cavalier Poets--they made the concept famous. And I think Sir Walter Ralegh had it right. The Cavalier Poets and their carpe diem: they offer love, but not commitment; happiness, but not joy; sex, but not intimacy. They loved deeply, but what did they love? Not a person, but a thing, a transitory thing, so they took that thing while they could. That is what carpe diem is all about.

I think it goes back to decency. Don't let the campaign die.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Your blog is harder to read now...

I love how you said what you said. What is life without loyalty? You already know how I feel about this one.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Loyalty. I'm a fan. And I haven't seen that movie. but then, I haven't seen most movies. And the Latin makes me happy.

12:41 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Well, and I also figured out what was wrong with me. Turns out, nothing is wrong with ME at all. It all comes back to loyalty. But, like I said, more about that later. If at all.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Taylor Hellewell said...

Well, I suppose everyone has different definitions/connotations for every term they come across. When I think of loyalty I think of a dog. In those terms, I'm not very loyal. I have a bad habit of biting the hands that feed me, in all of their collective and sometimes condescending exuberance, and what's worse, I'm lazy. So . . . think of a decrepid pit bull . . . on crack.

I think I identify more w/ the notion of Carpe Diem you relate . . . Hollywood enjoys injecting sap into a perfectly palatable moment of dramatic dining. Then again, I recognize my many escapes for what they are . . . no pain, no pain . . . more suffering.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home