Saturday, January 21, 2006

If You Have Any Advice, I'd Appreciate It

I've entered into a serious (and scary) commitment: I have purchased a live house plant. A little potted ivy, specifically. This ivy plant is all my own, to care for, and remember to water, and pick dead leaves off of, and frankly, well, what if I'm a failure? I don't want to kill the poor thing.

What's strange is, I've grown up around houseplants all my life. I've watered them for my mother. I know how not to kill a plant. But now, no one else is standing over me, telling me what to do. Oh, and there was that disastrous incident last year involving a couple dead houseplants, too, which is adding to my hesitance.

In any case, I'll keep you updated on the ivy situation. Cross your fingers.

8 Comments:

Blogger Baltazar said...

In one of the Tracy Hepburn movies Hepburn has a office plant that is crawling all over the place.Her theory is give it love.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz,

Houseplants are the coolest things ever. I brought home my hanging houseplant last August, and it still alive. It is actually more than a live, it actually grew.

I think the most important thing you can do for your houseplant, is to give it a name. That, and watering regularly helps too.

8:49 PM  
Blogger tuesday said...

I think a name for the ivy to be a good idea. Thank goodness you looked up online what we need to do . . . a spray bottle it will be. We must not procrastinate taking care of the little angel that now graces our living room.

Let us brainstorm a name. For some reason, I consider this plant to be a male. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I like Jefferson. Or, we could do my favorite thing and name the plant after a celebrity favorite like Paul, Laurence, maybe Kenneth. Or, maybe a name from Shakespeare like Proteus, Petruchio, Lysander, Benedick, or Rosencrantz. Or, you could choose one of your favorite authors or poets.

What do you think?

12:27 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

He's male. Let's go with a Shakespearean name. I mean, it's ivy, it's very Old World.

1:34 AM  
Blogger tuesday said...

Do you have a particular play you prefer?

Let's see . . . others I recognize and like: Oberon, Banquo, Demetrius, Malvolio, Tybalt, Alonso. Anything striking a chord?

2:00 AM  
Blogger tuesday said...

Octavius it is.

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure it actually gets sunlight!!! That and water are critical. I rather preferred the name "Malvolo" being a rather creepy crawly name.

5:25 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

We are NOT calling the plant Malvolio. Even though Twelfth Night is one of my favorite plays. He isn't creepy-crawly, and he resents being referred to as such.

Also, I would like to point out that, yes indeed, my roommate and I had a conversation on my blog WHILE IN THE SAME ROOM. I love the internet.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home