Monday, January 16, 2006

I'm Sorry If I'm Insulting The Carbon Copies Out There, But Not Too Sorry

I was going to write about how I fixed my music collection, and how I finally saw "Four Brothers" this weekend (and was terribly disappointed), but I don't have the time for that.

Because something much more urgent is at hand.

Right now, this very moment, I am deeply involved in a conversation with Megann, one of my favorite people, as well as being one of my oldest friend, and our topic is: boys. No, not that 14-year-old girl, giggly, gossipy nonsense. Gross. We have far too much experience and college-perfected critique and cynicism under our belts to ever stoop so low.

[A SHORT INTERJECTION BEFORE I MOVE ON TO MY POINT: The reason I can get away with this is because there is no way I am a carbon copy. I am a lot of things, but "similar to anyone else ever born" is not it. For proof, I hand you Exhibit A, an exchange made just last night:

Ryan: You are one of the oddest girls I have ever known.
Me: Because I'm honest.
Me: ...About 12% of the time.
Me: But when I am, I REALLY am.

I get that a lot, actually.]

THE POINT: We basically want to know why engaging, smart, funny guys always seem to date the same stupid girl. For instance, you look at the new girlfriend, and she's just a carbon copy of all the other girlfriends before her, and it's not because the original image was terribly spectacular in the first place. It's one of those real speckly, hard-to-read, and not meaningful in any case types; something you'd tape to the basement wall of an ill-used building announcing an informal poetry reading. Not high-class stuff. Nice, but, ya know, just...nice.

So, my question (as always) is, Why?

And now as I leave that hanging in the air, I want to revisit the fact that "Four Brothers" was pretty much a disappointment. It was a good idea, but the cript writer had no idea what he (she?) was doing. People of Hollywood: Do not disappoint me in this manner again, ever. I do not wait six months to see a movie only to lie on a couch and laugh at the absurdity.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's because non-carbon type girls won't take chances for the funny, smart, intelligent guys.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But what about the crypt writer?

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting inquiry to be sure. Perhaps you just see an adoration for the mediocre which society has developed. Maybe somebody unique and startling is too difficult to find for the effort. I, however, am reluctant to date they who lack the sufficient intrigue as to warrant my attention. The rest are welcome to sit in the periphery where others are more apt to notice them.

8:07 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Anonymous, I know girls who do take chances. But if the guy is too enthralled with the wrong girl, there's nothing to be done. Also, the guy should be the one chasing the girl. I guess not everyone feels the same, but I know that's how thinks work in my world.

Oh, p.s. -- Jared...what?

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if both people like eachother, no one needs to do the chasing because no one is running away.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to a noni moose,
How delightfully trite! But unfailingly one is going to be in persuit of the other before the other has had sufficient time to recognize it; hence the "one chasing the other". Love rarely appears as the two couples who run towards each other on a beach with the sun setting behind them.
But it would seem (now addressing Elizabeth) that your blog has inspired a scintillating debate. Congratulation! I am most eager to see how it turns out.
P.S. I believe "Jared" was refering to the script vs. cript typo.

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do we continue to date carbon copies? Oh... it is becuase they are cute, and we are superficial.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home