Thursday, November 18, 2004

"It Takes a Lot to Make the End"

I borrowed Get Over It last night from Bart. I must confess, if he were truly my friend, he might not have been so quick about lending it to me. But I'm glad he did, and I promise to be careful with it. When he will be getting it back, I do not know.

Because to watch this movie is to witness a part of my own life being played out on screen. Except Movie Land comes in and mucks things up, extricating characters from messy and emotionally conflicted situations far too easily. But I can't blame Hollywood. As fascinating as real life is, most people just want to escape it for a few hours.

Cowards.

I watch it, not to escape, but to see the pain on Kirsten Dunst's face as she navigates a thoroughly entangled situation. I like her anyway, but this movie makes me like her even more. And I don't care that my roommate finds it juvenile and not all that engaging. Sometimes, you realize you just own a song or a book or a movie and you put said song on repeat for hours or reread said novel until the binding falls apart or throw said DVD on the computer every day for weeks.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be."

7 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I use the media in the same way... Not to escape, but to see my feelings and thoughts played out or sang in front of me. It allows us to feel deeper, I think. It becomes addicting.

I still can barely read your blog. You should feel lucky I read it at all anymore. jk :)

4:41 PM  
Blogger tuesday said...

Okay, maybe I thought some of the humor was a bit base, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the idea of ownership. Sometimes, that song or that movie is the only thing we can desperately hang on to.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

I have one thing to say. "I Am A Rock". The end.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I can read it now!!!

10:16 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Kirsten Dunst IS a hottie, yeah. Spider Man and MJ... oh, the memories.

And, no, Rachael, I am NOT a rock, I refuse to be a rock ever again. Cold, unfeeling people are people who aren't progressing with their lives. The Unbreakable has broken, and I don't think she should ever go back. I just think someone should write a novel or make a movie about her life. And not one of those trashy novels, either. And if it's a movie, it has to be artsy and cinematographically beautiful and compelling and all that jazz. I DO have standards.

Oh, and PS, thanks to everyone who put up with me last night, especially you, Nick. I love you guys.

4:18 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

I would just like to remind you, Art, that you will be doing all of my deductive logic homework for me next semester, since you love logic so much.

But I do know what modus tollens is. Well, I do now. And the example they gave to illustrate is pure genius:

If Lizzy was the murderer, then she owns an axe.
Lizzy does not own an axe.
Therefore, Lizzy was not the murderer.

But Rachael does ;)

3:17 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

You see that, everyone? Who's going to get an A in deductive logic this semester? Oh, I do believe it's me! And that A stands for Art.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home