Friday, June 30, 2006

"Every civilization finds it necessary to negotiate compromises with its own values"

I watched the movie Munich in theaters. Afterward, my date and I sat in the car and discussed it, talked it out for hours before we could part. That's the only thing you can do with movies like that, those movies that press so heavily on you in the darkness of the theater that you need the endroll of the credits to come up for air - indeed, you didn't even realize you'd been holding your breath for those past several hours. Those are the movies that change you, maybe slightly, but they force you to confront the Real, and it takes the cathartic release of a discussion to nestle you back to the ideological confines of reality.

All this is to make my point that tonight, when a friend of mine rented Munich from On-Demand and we chatted online while he watched, the following conversation was necessary -
Friend: Be careful so you don't end up having seven-month-pregnant sex
Me: I won't ever be seven months pregnant, so don't worry.
Friend: Haha, no babies?
Me: I just hate the word "pregnant," so I refuse to be it. Ever.

And that's the most significant thing we took away together from this movie - that there was pregnant sex, and that I am picky about diction. Terribly picky.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mooney said...

Wow Liz, tell me you took something else away from Munich. I'd hate for the best filmmaking of Spielberg's career to be lost on someone of you intelligence.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Baltazar said...

How holy can a movie about useing bribes to kill people be ?

7:54 PM  
Blogger Mooney said...

First of all, I didn't designate it a holy film. 2nd, I think "Holiness" itself is a very misunderstood concept. And finally, holiness is as different between you and I as it was between Jews and Greeks when Paul spat all his Christian Liberty stuff to begin with. All of those negators considered...

I think Munich is both admirable and artistically valid because it utilizes a real story to show what "vengeance", "patriotism", and "righteous might" can do to a country's, a faith's, or an individual's life. Namely, utterly destroy it with loads of collateral damage on the lives of everyone around you.

It's ultimate "holiness" is probably calling into question the concepts of "holy" war and "righteous" vengeance.

Also of note, in the artistic merit direction: It's one of the most heartbreakingly beautifully photographed films I've ever seen, it's devastatingly powerful, and represents the true breadth of feelings on this conflict from both sides (not just the Jewish one).

This is Spielberg's bravest and most important contribution to film and art. Watch it. Think about it in context.

The best literary works in history suceed morally in telling the most immoral of tales. Madame Butterfly, Crime and Punishment, Faust, 10,000,000 others...

The setting and plot might be grossly immoral, and yet the film can certainly say something vitally important and of great moral worth.

12:18 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Wow, thank you, Jared.

Oh, and just so you know: when I actually watched it in theaters, I had much, much more to say than what I wrote about in my blog.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Baltazar said...

It's so long ago I hardly remember it but the movie Exodus shows how it started.

3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home