Saturday, December 29, 2007

Why It's Taking Me So Long To Save For A PS3

I have an application on Facebook (no, Mom, you cannot be my Facebook friend) that lets people see what books I'm reading, ones I want to read, and ones I already have read. It's a game to me to see how many books I can chug through to add to the "already read" section, and I feel a little gleam of triumph each time that pile grows.

The problem is, it's growing a lot these days, but "currently reading" is going nowhere. I was in Target on Christmas Eve with my Mom (everywhere else was closed, and we wanted to go shopping), and I snagged up a copy of Love in the Time of Cholera that I happened to see as I was walking by, and I lovingly cradled the book in my arms. I adored his One Hundred Years of Solitude, and I've been hearing so many wonderful things about this book. But the debate began in my head: "It's only twelve dollars!" "It's TWELVE WHOLE DOLLARS." "That's not much. Twelve dollars? You can't buy a pair of shoes for that. And this is a book! Books are so much better than shoes! You don't even need shoes anyway if you're inside all day, caught inside a book." "It's more than you make in an hour. Think of how much work you have to do to make that money. Think of all the Christmas presents you just bought for people, and the bills you have to pay. You don't mess around with money."
"I hate you. You're not even rational." "I've saved your butt on at least six different occasions." "Well. Poopsmith." And I put the book back.

And also, poopsmith is my new "well, shucks" expression. Because my brain thinks that since it's a reference to a popular humor website, then it's more topical, and therefore BETTER than saying poop.

Sigh. I don't need to debate about buying any new books. I definitely need to re-crack the ol' Complete Works of Shakespeare. He makes talking dirty sound so lyrical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home