Sunday, December 05, 2004

"We Have Lost All Feeling for One Another"

Last night I saw Saints and Soldiers. My friend asked me what I thought of it when the movie was over and we were walking out. I was slightly distracted by text messaging Rachael and by the fact that I didn't want to discuss how I felt then. So I looked over and said, "It was compelling." When pressed for more, I didn't give it. I don't need to expound for paragraphs about this movie. All I need to say can be said in less words than what I grudgingly offered to this friend.

I cried.

Very few movies have that power over me. It was true what I said before: the movie is terribly compelling. I guess you just have to be a closer friend to understand what that word means and what it means to me. Music has a powerful effect on me anyway as does war and death, so those three mixed together, all the loss and heroism and valor of it combined to move me to tears. I don't think it will have the same effect on everyone. I think a lot of people can see it and not care. A lot of people cried and didn't know why they were crying or cried merely because they cry at everything slightly emotional.

Ryan Little is an amazing director. His short film "Auteur" immediately got me hooked on his work ("This is NOT a film about dolly grips!"), and his short film "The Last Good War" was beautiful and emotionally powerful and ensured that Ryan Little would be permanently encoded by the end of Final Cut last semester. This endeavor ensures that I follow his movements and anticipate his forthcoming works.

6 Comments:

Blogger Baltazar said...

Girls wonder why boys like video games--

8:36 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

I don't wonder, I know. It's because video games are hot.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

A movie I've never even heard of had that effect on you. I need to be educated.

12:31 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

And you are certainly welcome. Feel free to come back as often as you like. I try to update frequently. Truth be told, my blog is really the only thing that stands between me and boredom anyway. It also saves me the trouble of doing my homework. Good blog.

Oh, and Rachael, I'm certain you've heard of Saints and Soldiers. People at SVU have to have mentioned it. Ryan Little graduated from BYU, it's a quasi-Mormon film. Finally, someone besides Richard Dutcher who knows how to make a movie.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Baltazar said...

The movie is about traveling through dangerous territory
--and video games are practice,it's the males job

6:27 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

This is true. But war is still an awful thing, and I don't think these boys enjoyed themselves in any way. They had enough humanity for that. I suppose some people just like killing, but to that heartbreaking extent, I don't think it's anyone's "job." Video games are different than war, though. There is no humanity. Anonymity is preserved, and that preservation instinct is brought out. And I love to watch guys play video games. I spent my whole life watching my brothers, and I have many fond memories. So I will reiterate... video games are hot.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home