Thursday, April 14, 2005

"Laugh Or Cry, Well We Need To Try, Get Off the Line, Time To Fly"

HOW I SPENT MY READING DAYS, Part One: Thursday.

Finally collapsed in bed at about 4 a.m. after choosing classes for the fall semester and setting two alarm clocks to rouse me in two hours when it was my time to register. Historically, class registration has been a nasty and a painful process. Last semester was particularly bad with the English department's stunt of putting a hold on my registration until I met with a counselor, yet not notifying me of this, not even in the "Registration Holds" section where it is SUPPOSED to tell you things like that. So just because I had no holds listed didn't mean I wasn't suspecting BYU of pulling something funny. And ya know what? 6 a.m. came (with some trauma I won't tell you about), I clicked on the classes I wanted, and everything went through fine. And since I'm a junior and a half credit-wise, I got to register early enough that none of the sections I wanted were full. Hoo shah.

A few hours later, Jennifer got up and asked me if I still wanted free food from her work-type picnic celebration. I don't care HOW tired you are, free food is free food, and it's not like I couldn't sleep later (which I did). So we walked to Heritage Halls, looked for the people, didn't see them, wandered about searching for a park which held them, revisited some freshman year memories, searched some more, and some more, walked toward a gathering of people that turned out to be 43 million little kids and their moms (Speaking of which, earlier we had walked by the X in front of the library which was filled with kids and parents on a superhuge picnic. I suggested to Jennifer that we steal a child and keep it in our apartment. The kids were THAT cute, and it's been far too long since I've babysat.), and we gave up and headed back to our apartment. We stopped in the HFAC (fine arts building) to check out the flier and see where the group HAD met, just to solve the mystery. Um, turns out she had gotten the wrong time, and they were meeting at 12, not 11. So we scampered back over to Heritage and got our food anyway. I ate so much, and it felt so good, that when we walked back, I crawled into bed and slept. For multiple hours. With the window open. It was hotness, I assure you.

Then I chatted for a while and headed out to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey in the Maeser Building. It was pretty cool, until the end when the whole thing stank of a Jean Cocteau film. Shudder. I ate four chocolate chip cookies. Four. I don't think I was supposed to have that many, but I did, and I feel guilty, and what is wrong with me, does my body not know it's almost Finals Week, and I never eat during Finals Week? WELL?? Then again, I registered for fall classes without a hitch, so maybe this is all just a dream, and I'll wake up in a few minutes to see a SPIDER CRAWLING ON MY PILLOW.

Hold me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Baltazar said...

what do counselors counsel about
I never thought they new anything

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it won't be long before you are home and complaining about your (irrelevant) parents. Take care.

5:51 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Baltazar: The interview lasted five minutes. He told me not to take my Advanced Writing class my sophomore year, especially not with a heavier course load like mine was. Waste. Of. Time.

Anonymous: I'm guessing you're a parent of mine? Perhaps? If you are, I'm gonna go with Dad. If you're not, you sound like my dad.

The thing that will draw me back to Utah like a boy scout to fire -- English 452: Literary Theory. All mine!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home