Saturday, April 09, 2005

"Tell Me, Where Is the Love? In A Careless Creation, When There's No 'Above'"

Nietzsche visited my philosophy class yesterday. First of all, kudos for me for knowing the order of consonants in his name. Just look at that thing... you can't even come up with a jingle to help you remember, you just have to KNOW. The way I came to know was by picking up a book and wading through some nihilist thought. Depressing fare it was, but Nietzsche as a guest speaker was highly entertaining.

What the deal is (Oh, if you didn't know, Nietzsche has been dead for over a hundred years, and BYU doesn't exactly sanction séances, so you should be very confused at this point. Ready... confusion! Perfect), is basically, my professor is awesome. I don't exactly agree with everything he does, and especially not with commenting on my paper "What does 'are' mean?", but last week, he dressed up as Berkeley, complete with Irish accent, and this week... he stormed in, tieless, with a great big mustache drawn with black marker on his face and an outrageous German accent. Even better was when he told the class that "God is dead...we have killed him, you and I." I want to walk into my mother's Sunday School class and pull that one, just for the facial expressions. Apparently most of my philosophy class had never heard of nihilism. Which is really okay, as most people also aren't going into literary theory, and so stay with modernism for a while. But now everyone who reads my blog has, and you should all go out and read up on it, and then throw rocks at me, because encouraging nihilist reading isn't exactly a nice thing to do. Perhaps necessary, but never nice. But I care about you guys, and I want you all to be well-educated. Post your favorite Nietzsche quote in the comments.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't even think about walking into your mother's sunday School class pulling that stunt. But you could walk into the dining room at home and look at the look on your father's face...Of course, you might get grounded for that, even if you are 20 yrs. old. But it's neat to discuss nihilism, because you have to know what your faith is Not, to appreciate what it is faith In. Your mother

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo'mama is anonymous ??

4:27 PM  
Blogger Baltazar said...

All these guys are europeans living in the time Europe became wealthy from the discovery of America.It's a luxury phenominom.Do your classes ever mention the coming phenom China and chinnees?

2:17 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Mom: Just you try to ground me.

F..N.: Yes. She won't get a blog for herself.

Baltazar: At the beginning of study in each field, Western thought is the primary discussion as we ARE Western, and so need to become familiar with our own system of thinking before we can tackle others. There are classes here, though, that discuss Asian history and philosophy, as well as other cultures. I just haven't gotten to them yet.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite takeoff on Nietzsche is:
"God is dead.", Nietzsche.
"Nietzsche is dead!", God.

-someone close to you

6:00 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Someone close to me? Physically, emotionally, phonetically, what? Are you perhaps hiding underneath my bed?

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home