Thursday, October 27, 2005

Some Things Make A Lot More Sense Now

The world's population is divided into two camps: Those who believe in love, and those who do not.

I am of the former camp. I do not think you can hold hope and not believe in love -- and yet, I am surrounded by people who profess to have found a brilliant truth and a bright hope, and yet who settle for something far, far less and claim to be content with that.

"Find a nice boy. Someone who is good enough, who will treat you well." "I like her well enough." "You are aiming too high." "Love is pure fiction -- a chemical reaction at the most." "I don't believe in that stuff." Excuse me, WHAT?

Perhaps I am the one who is flawed. But even as I type that, I know I don't really believe it. Perhaps something has happened, has seeped its way into culture, has bled its malodorous and sickly self into our collective bloodstream, something terrible and uncanny. But I do not know what it is.

All I can do is stare blindly at these people who assert these awful claims and hope. What is surprising to me is how something so weak and wishy-washy could take such a strong grip of people's thought. It does have the smack of "rationality," though, so perhaps it is not so strange. We are taught to be embarrassed for our feelings, and we obey -- but who is saying it? And why are people taking up the cry? It's a lot harder, you know.

And stop it with the impatience. Don't just settle for the girl who's good enough, who is cute and fun, because you want to be happy, and you can be happy with her. That is a sell-out. Poetry wasn't written for that girl, and there's a reason why.

6 Comments:

Blogger juxtaposer said...

And if it doesn't make you want to compose a poem, it's not worth doing -- that goes for practically everything.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Baltazar said...

Did you ever google love ? First up is "the love calculator" I got a 61% with you. I'm thinking about a poom

3:36 AM  
Blogger Mama Luce said...

Hope sustains us, but it is Love that motivates us.
It is the one thing that can make ANY situation better. I don't mean romantic love necessarily, but true unconditional, I don't care what you've done or where you're from, Love. THAT is what makes this world worth living in.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Mama Luce said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Mama Luce said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:29 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

I think you misread my post. Go back and read it again -- I promise I'm not that confusing. I do believe in love, which I said in the very beginning.

P.S. Thanks again for letting me hang out with you! I like your house.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home