Monday, February 27, 2006

I Should Charge For This Kind Of Advice. I Shouldn't Have To Have Customers, Though.

Here is a note for all of you living with other people (and I know most of you are): You are LIVING with OTHER PEOPLE.

I shouldn't need to point that out. You're telling yourself, Hey, that's pretty obvious that I'm living with other people, what does she think I am, a retard?

No. Just self-absorbed. Not that that's a bad thing. It's actually a pretty natural thing. I mean, how much of your day do you spend actually in somebody else's mind? Exactly. None of it. It's how we're designed to function. Which is why things happen like people not wearing headphones and playing music their roommates don't care for; or someone not emptying the dishwasher even though they were supposed to; or someone "borrowing" something while their roommate was away and breaking it; or some girl making a snippy, passive-agressive remark about someone in front of that someone's face; or people not picking up after themselves; or waking people up two hours before they needed to be up with a loud voice; or turning the heat down too low or up too high; or singing badly, yet loudly, to yourself at 2 a.m. while other people are around for any reason; or not wiping off the countertop; or reading someone else's internet conversations over their shoulder (or while they step out for a moment, or while they're at work and you lie and say it was an accident or someone else who told you about it, you liar, yes, I know all about you); or having sex in the room while someone else is trying to sleep; or making messes in shared areas; or vomiting in the kitchen and making someone else clean it up; or eating someone else's food without asking, or even with asking, but without their offering; or....

And I bet you have lots of stories of your own. We spend most of our lives living in close proximity with other people. Clean up your messes, wear headphones and don't sing along, stay quiet when others are sleeping, wait for something to be extended to you, and don't try to be a lying, weaselly little sneak, because you're not that sneaky. Just be considerate. And for heaven's sake, if you're too hot in your apartment/house/dorm room/storage shed/whatever, do not move the thermostat down 20 degrees. Move it five. Because you know what? The apartment/house/dorm room/storage shed/whatever temperature will move to whatever you set it. Surprise! No one wants to wake up shivering, especially not if heat is free.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

............

2:44 AM  
Blogger Baltazar said...

hecklerkoch.usa.com

5:30 AM  
Blogger adam said...

look, i understand that you are mad... but you really need to air out the whole list of things that i do wrong here on the internet for everyone to see. man.

6:30 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

That's a list of everything I do wrong.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone is a little bit bitter towards other people...are you jealous of what they have because you can't have it? What's the deal with all the whining?

7:00 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Those who accuse others of being jealous, are really just insecure about what they have.

7:57 PM  
Blogger tuesday said...

As far as I know, I'm the only one in the apartment that sings along with my music (with headphones) at 2am. I don't believe I've ever heard you sing along with headphones.

9:05 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Jennifer - that's because I sing so badly, you don't even recognize it as singing. Sad, I know.

Oh, and I wasn't whining. There's a difference between looking at one's own faults and other common faults and making a call for simple decency (I'm big on decency, ask anyone). I just don't like it when my privacy is violated, same as everyone else.

9:58 PM  
Blogger jacob said...

I would also have to guess that you are living AROUND other people.

I live near one of the two hottubs in University Villa, and I think it is great that the residents here can use it to have a great time with their friends.

However, it becomes annoying when people from across Provo decide to come crash the hottub at midnight (or later). They don't come with intelligent thoughts that there are people living or sleeping around the point they've randomly decided to hold a party. It especially becomes annoying when people knock on your door (after midnight) and ask to use the restroom.

Ok, I'll stop complaining.

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home