Thursday, February 23, 2006

I'm Bragging, But This Is My Blog, So It's Allowed

You know what feels good? Consistently getting the highest class grader on every paper you write. Apparently I'm a god in the English department, and I'm getting my own (good) reputation in the philosophy department as well.

Which reminds me of a conversation I overheard as I was sleeping/reading Mrs. Dalloway. Two girls were sitting near me, in the philosophy end of the hallway, where there is (appropriately) a bulletin board with philosophy information on it. All the departments have one.

Girl 1: I hate philosophy.
Girl 2: Hate?
Girl 1: Well, not hate. I just...yuck.
Girl 2: Why?
Girl 1: It's too abstract. Like in math...there's one answer. In philosophy, there are, like...three or four. And who knows what the professor wants!
Girl 2: Huh.
Girl 1: English is so much better. Except my professor wants us to write this "scholarly paper." I mean, why?
Girl 2: Well, this is college. I think all my professors want scholarly papers.
Girl 1: And my family life class--[mumbled something I couldn't hear, and I'm pretty sure I didn't want to anyway]
Girl 1: AND! They want me to write a perfectly grammatical paper. That's not even possible.
Girl 2: Well, you have to proofread. And take it to the writing center.
Girl 1: What's that?

And then Girl 2 took the textbook she was holding and killed Girl 1 for being so dumb. Or maybe I added that part in my imagination.

No wonder professors think I write good papers; the ABOVE is what I'm competing with. People who don't want to waste their time proofreading, much less thinking.

4 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

incredible, eh? when i see some of the emails the above type people send to professors it never ceases to amaze me.

"hey prof,
did u wont the paper duble spaced? than ill do it over again.
thx"

no grammar or spelling and it drives me bananas.

then again, here i am typing a comment with no capital letters, go me. i suppose what i'm trying to say that in comparison to what's coming into uni's these days, it'd be difficult to not do better than most - even with the least amounf of effort.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Grammatical trash. That is what I call it.

12:39 AM  
Blogger jacob said...

You should see some of the emails I get from professors. Of course, Chemists aren't exactly known for their writing.

3:57 AM  
Blogger tuesday said...

Those are the kind of people who make me sudder in movie theaters.

*shudder*

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home