Friday, February 11, 2005

"For All That It's Worth"

One of the oddest conversations I've had (recently)involved a friend getting mad when I ignored him for a couple minutes to take a phone call from another friend I TOLD to call me. I dunno, I can multitask, but not anything involving the phone anymore. I thought it was all pretty legit, but I guess not.

So to avoid any future skirmishes, allow me to clarify. I have a circle of priorities. The closer you come to the center circle, the higher priority you are, and the more of my attention you get. Usually it's pretty obvious to people where they fit in the circles. Let's look at some different scenarios.

Scenario #1.

You come up to talk to me. I smile and respond eagerly to your questions, posing some of my own. I laugh and we carry on, having a great time. I follow you back to your apartment and start making plans for later tonight.

Scenario #2.

You come up to talk to me. I say hi, we chat, things are friendly. I wish you well in life and promise to come visit sometime.

Scenario #3.

You come up to talk to me. I respond vaguely to your questions and find an excuse to turn away soon. Or maybe not even an excuse, maybe I just forget that you're there.

Scenario #4.

You come up to talk to me. I spot you coming and run outta there. Maybe even getting a shoelace caught on a tent stake and tripping. I feel the need to rename you or assign you a number.

Scenario #5.

You come up to talk to me and someone pops out from nowhere and kills you. This person has been previously assigned to carry out this task.

Now, put these people in order of priority in my life. It's not hard, is it? The problem comes in when people assume things. They assume that I owe them every spare moment of mine because... I don't even know why, really. I'm not even going to pretend to have an answer to this one. I love you guys. I love talking to you guys. I love scheming and baking and singing and hanging with you guys. Just don't pick fights or get defensive when it's revealed that I have other friends. Cause know what? I have other friends.

And you're not my boyfriend.

6 Comments:

Blogger tuesday said...

"I feel the need to rename you or assign you a number."

So funny...because it's SO true.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

My favorite part was tripping over a tent stake. Haha... so random.

10:54 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

You might THINK it's random, but I bet there are a few people who read this who could tell you differently. Oh Samantha and how dumb you were.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

What? I'm dumb? Gee, thanks...

Want to play music tomorrow morning in the rec room?

12:52 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

This is why I can never call you Samantha. You're SAM, beautiful, smart, fun Sam. Samantha is someone entirely different.

And yeah, sounds good.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Baltazar said...

what's senario 6 like ?

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home