Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I had a melancholy thought today: when the F. Smith is up and running and they tear down the Jesse Knight Building, my tree will be ripped out. I found a place of solitude, of rest and intimate reflection, and they are carelessly cutting me out.

Good thing I discovered the library yesterday. Not "discovered" as in, I first realized its existence. The place is immense, one of the most extensive university libraries in the country; I would have to be more than blind to not feel its presence. It was more of an emotional discovery. We connected, the Library and I, and maybe one of these days, I will stop calling it the Heber B. Lee Library. I'm sure I offend it every time I do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Taylor Hellewell said...

Well, the Harold B. Lee library (and I say that as a parent does, adamantly announcing a child's full name so as to incriminate them in public) and I have never really gotten along. I appreciate its innards, rows upon rows of neatly ordered volumes, cataloguing the collected knowledge of the world; however, I despise the brooding air of the place . . . the eerie florescent lighting of the 2nd floor (in the OLD section) of the library, and the numbing whir of a lumbering air-conditioning system. It is a place of great evil . . .

However, I'm curious as to what will take the place of the JKHB. While I lament your loss, I'm always eager to see what comes next. Still lots of *hugs* should you need them, and via cyberspace so as to not burst your personal bubble.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

So before Art and I burn down the entire BYU campus, I need to know what you'd like us to steal (or save, whatever). And a list of people we should make sure aren't on campus when this happens would be nice.

4:05 PM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

Librarians always hated me. I don't know why that was, either. I can still feel their pincer-grips around my shoulders.

And Rachael, the only thing I want from BYU is my tree and the library. And honestly, since we're going to steal (save, whatever) trees from North Carolina anyway, what's the point? As for people? Why not do it late at night when the only people on campus are the crazies who spend eighteen hours studying and need to be relieved from their sad sufferings anyway. And Jennifer doubts that you and Art can accomplish this. Just as an extra motivation.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home