Sunday, January 09, 2005

"I Know Nothing Stays the Same"

In Elizabethan England, order was king. Playwrights created worlds that progressed naturally from chaos back to resolution. Philosophers pondered the Great Chain of Being, with everything set in its place. Fate ruled your life and the stars determined if your love would die a tragic death.

They say the universe moves toward entropy, and I can list many instances where that seems to be the only explanation for the mess all over the floor.

But joy is not in disorder, and as we are supposed to seek after joy, I'm seeing a few problems in that. All I know is, with the way things are, Shakespeare could not compose my life better.

Tom Stoppard, however....

4 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Which Shakespeare play? If it was in there, I missed it.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Baltazar said...

witch shakespearian is tom---?

6:51 AM  
Blogger juxtaposer said...

I didn't specify a play, all I was alluding to was that order was being restored.

And Tom Stoppard is an absurdist playwright, and my very favorite. He wrote a play called Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, based on Shakespeare's Hamlet. Everyone should read it. Right now. And then come watch the movie with me.

10:55 AM  
Blogger tuesday said...

"BEST PLAYWRIGHT EVER"...as a good friend once said.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home